Looking for app developers
Synchestra is a startup company in Belgium, Europe, that was founded in 2021 with a strong capital base.
Purpose: Develop a digital platform for classical concert music performance, in order to provide the possibility to play orchestral accompaniments of credible sound quality and adequate control possibilities for a solo player at reasonable cost.
Our mission: To provide to musicians the immense joy of easily accessing their dream to perform their preferred music with an orchestra.
Our values: Integrity, Respect, Honesty, Joy, Justice, Transparency, Perseverance.
You develop an app (for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS platforms) that plays modified MIDI files with VST instruments, in order to render the orchestra sound in real time together with the solo musician. Development covers areas such as proprietary algorithms for sound recognition, score rendering, sound rendering (including mix & mastering), front-end design, security.
The development is currently in the alpha-version stage, and we expect that the beta-version needs less than one year further work.
Your technical profile
- Experience with developing music applications in Juce / C++ is a must
- Experience in a complex software project with different developers is a plus
- Understanding the implications of real-time requirements for an app is a plus
- Some familiarity with Western orchestral scores is a plus
- Playing music (any instrument) with other people is a big plus; you understand the subtleties of playing together
- Good technical English (reading, writing, speaking)
- You are an EU citizen (= you have or we can obtain a work permit according to Belgian law)
Your personal profile
- Passion for music is essential
- You are a self-starter, and can work without daily supervision; you can prioritise and plan your work and backlog; you can work towards a deadline
- You appreciate working in a team, you love to challenge and to be challenged
- You have a can-do mentality, you are solution oriented
- You are not afraid of coping with technical challenges with only mere support (we are doing innovative research in unexplored fields); you get excited by innovation
We offer you
- A particularly challenging and rewarding project following several years of research and experiments. The technical proof-of-concept has been made, and our Research & Development is supported by the Flemish Government.
- An inspiring work environment in Leuven, Belgium (next to the University), with engineers (who are musicians) who will challenge and guide you.
- You may work from home, with daily contacts with your colleagues in Belgium over Teams. Rehearsals and live tests of the app are done in our offices, and in music conservatories in Belgium. You are expected to work about 10-15% of your time in Belgium.
- Full-time employment contract of undetermined duration with a competitive salary package on Belgian payroll.
- Your loyalty will be rewarded with shares of the company.
Interested? More info?
Initial interviews will be done via Teams, you will be invited for final interviews in Belgium.
Please send a resume and short description of relevant work in music (and possibly other) subjects, or links to that work, to
dr.ir. Robrecht H. Paternoster
Chief Musical Officer - Founder